Found a dog and don't know what to do?
Found A Dog?
Thank you for helping a dog in need. As you may know, Houston has an animal overpopulation crisis. Barrio Dogs receives daily inquiries about dogs or cats needing help and a home; however, our focus is on pet welfare education in schools and in the community, where we provide free spay or neuter, vaccinations, and microchips. When able, we provide emergency vetting for sick or injured dogs and cats.
Here are some recommendations and resources that may be able to help you:
If you can’t find an owner and can’t keep the animal, there aren’t many options. Depending on where you live, you can take it to BARC or the Harris County Animal Shelter but they may euthanize it. Other shelters charge a surrender fee and also euthanize. A rescue group may have room or transport, but they are currently overwhelmed with intake.
Your best bet is to use your own network to find the animal a new home. You may be surprised by your friends, family and co-workers.
Spay, Neuter & Wellness Clinics
- Emancipet Houston, 910 S. Wayside Dr #100, Houston, TX 77023 (713)321-2713
- Emancipet Houston, 8533 Gulf Fwy, Houston, TX 77017 (713)321-2713
- Gulfgate Animal Hospital, 216 Winkler Drive, Houston, TX 77087 (713)643-5723
- Long Drive Dog & Cat Hospital, 7327 Long Drive, Houston, TX 77087 (713)643-0633
- Pet Clinic On Bellfort, 7151 Bellfort, Houston, TX 77087 (713)842-7050
- Texas Litter Control, 586 Sawdust Rd, Spring, TX 77380 (832)510-7622
- Houston Humane Society, 14700 Almeda Rd, Houston, TX 77053 (713)433-6421
- Eado Veterinary Clinic, 2704 Polk St, Suite C, Houston, TX 77003 (713)297-8200
- Citizens for Animal Protection, 7555 Katy Freeway, Houston, TX 77094 (281)497-0591
- Petcare Express, 2501 W Holcombe Blvd D, Houston, TX 77030 (713) 592-9977
- Petcare Express, 6220 W 43rd St, Houston, TX 77092 (832) 649-3179
Help Barrio Dogs raise funds to help animals in need of vet care.